Author/cohautor of more than 40 papers published on national and international journals or volumes. In particular: papers have been published in the Journal of Cleaner Production (IF 5.715 – JCR2016), Journal of Environmental Management (IF 4.01 – JCR2016), Resources, Conservation & Recycling; Waste Management; European Journal of Operational Research (IF 3.297 – JCR2016), Water Resources Management (IF 2.848 – JCR2016); Water (IF 1.832 – JCR2016); Sustainability (IF 1.789 – JCR2016); Utilities Policy (IF 1.682 – JCR2016); Water Science and Technology (IF 1.197 – JCR2016); Water Policy (IF 1.144 – JCR2016)
On Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Giulia_Romano
On Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=2SRUX3MAAAAJ&hl=it&authuser=2
Research Grants and Coordination of research groups
- 2018/2020 – Scientific Coordinator of the PRA Project financed by the University of Pisa on Performance and knowledge management of water and waste utilities in the Circular Economy framework
- 2015/2016 – Scientific Coordinator of the PRA Project financed by the University of Pisa on Governance and Performance of Water Utilities: a multidisciplinary approach
- 2015/2017 – Scientific Coordinator of a Research Project on efficiency of wastewater treatment plants in collaboration with and financed by GIDA Spa, Prato, Italy
- 2014/2017 – Scientific Coordinator of the Jean Monnet Module (Erasmus + 2014) “European Water Utility Management: promoting innovation Within the water industry and spreading knowledge on relevant and cutting edge water utility issues” funded by the EACEA (EU) – http://jmwater.ec.unipi.it/
- 2011-2012 – Research unit coordinator of the project of International Cooperation “Corporate governance of banks in the crisis context”, funded by University of Pisa and Ukrainian Academy of Banking. In collaboration with Ukrainian Academy of Banking, Sumy, Ukraine
Participation to research groups (selection)
2010 – 2017 – Co-coordinator of a research group on Water Resources Management in Italy: Corporate governance, Efficiency and Sustainability, in collaboration with the University of Verona and Technical University of Lisbon
2014 – 2017 Co-coordinator of a research group on Waste Management in Italy, in collaboration with the University of Verona and Technical University of Lisbon.
2013 – 2017 – Member of the research group sull’Health care management, in collaboration with the University of Verona
2013 – 2015 – Member of the research group “Common good and responsible behavior in businesses and institutions”, in collaboration with ISVI, Bocconi University and University of Verona.
Authored and Co-authored papers have been presented in more than 30 international and national conferences.
She has been Chair of the following conferences:
- 2017 –IWA Conference “Water Challenges in the XXI Century: Role of Economics, Statistics and Asset Management”, Livorno, 11-13 September 2017 – http://iwa2017.ec.unipi.it/
- 2017 –3rd International Seminar Water Resources Management on “Governance and Performance of water utilities: tools and best practices” Pisa, 27 January 2017
- 2015 – International Seminar Water Resources Management on “European Water Utility Management: Promoting Efficiency, Innovation and Knowledge in the Water Industry” Pisa, 3rd June 2015.
- 2012 – International conference “Corporate Governance and Regulation: Outlining New Horizons for Theory and Practice”, University of Pisa, Faculty of Economics, September, 19, 2012.
She has been Member of the Scientific Committee of the following conferences (selection):
- 2019 – First International Workshop on water and waste management”, “Water and waste management in circular economy: efficiency, innovation and policy implications”, Brescia, October 10-11, 2019 (http://fiw3.unibs.it/home)
- 2015 – “1st International Conference on Redrafting Water Governance” Lisbon (Portugal), 8-9 October 2015.
- 2015/2016 – “2nd International Seminar on Water Resources Management” held in Oviedo (University of Oviedo, Spain) on 28-29th June 2016
- 2016 – “International Conference on Adapting to Climate Change (ACC2016)”, June 21 – 22, 2016 in Lisbon, Portugal
She has been Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the following conferences:
- 2015-2016 – 2nd SEE Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES), University of Zagreb, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon e Jozef Stefan International Postgraduate School, Ljubijana, June15-18, 2016, Piran, Slovenia
- 2015-2016 – 11th SDEWES Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES), University of Zagreb and Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon, September 4-9, 2016, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2014-2015 – 10th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES), University of Zagreb and Instituto Superior Tecnico, September 27 – October 3, 2015, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Academic Editor PLOS ONE
Guest Editor (with Rui Cunha Marques – University of Lisbon, Andrea Guerrini – University of Verona) Special Issue on Water Resources Management Journal (Ranked A Anvur and AIDEA) 2016 on “European Water Utility Management” – https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11269-017-1697-3
Guest Editor (with Rui Cunha Marques – University of Lisbon, Andrea Guerrini – University of Verona e Francesco Fatone – Politechnich University of Marche) Special Issue on Sustainability Journal (Ranked A GEV area 13) (2017) on “Challenges for a Sustainable Water Use and Re-Use”
Guest Editor (with Arnaud Reynaud – Toulouse School of Economics & INRA) Special Issue on Water Journal (2017) on “Advances in the Economic Analysis of Residential Water Use” – http://www.mdpi.com/journal/water/special_issues/economic_residential_water
Visiting research scholar University of Lisbona – Instituto Superior Tecnico e CERIS (Lisbon) (June 2016) Prof. Rui Cunha Marques.
Visiting research scholar University of di Granada (Spagna), Departmento de Economia Aplicada (June 2014) – Proff. Francisco Gonzalez Gomez e Alberto Ruiz Villaverde.
Visiting Phd student at Cass Business school London (UK), II semester (Prof. Georges Selim).
Other Research Activities
2013 – Reviewer/Valutatore for Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR), Programma “Futuro in Ricerca 2013”.
2016 – Reviewer/Valutatore for University of Verona, Programma “Ricerca di Base 2015”
2016 – Reviewer for ANVUR, Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of the University and Research Systems, Valutazione della Ricerca
2011-present – Member of “International Center for Banking and Corporate governance”, Ukrainian Academy of Banking of the National Bank of Ukraine
Reviewer for: Azienda Pubblica; BMC Health Services Research; Central European Journal of Operations Research; Environmental Science and Pollution Research; Impresa Progetto – Electronic Journal of Management; International Journal of Business Performance Management; International Journal of Public Sector Management; International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital; International Journal of Water Resources Development, ; Journal of Cleaner Production; Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA; Managerial Auditing Journal; Resources, Conservation & Recycling; Review of Policy Research; Science of the Total Environment; Sustainability; Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal; Utilities Policy; Urban Water Journal; Water; Water Resources Management; Water Resource Planning and Management; Water Resources Research.
Awards and academic activities
Member and substitute president of the doctoral committee of the doctoral program in Industrial Economics at the University of Valencia (2017)
Award-winning young researchers at the University of Pisa, 2011 and 2013
Scientific Rating University of Pisa (2013-2017 last available): 4/4
The paper “Measuring and comparing the efficiency of water utility companies: A data envelopment analysis approach” (Romano and Guerrini, 2011) was one of the “Most Cited Utilities Policy Articles and Most Downloaded Utilities Policy Articles” (Utilities Policy is a journal ranked A by Anvur).
Scientific Board Member of WAMATERC research center, University of Verona (2015-present)
Member of EWRA, European Water Resources Association (2016-present)
Since 2009 Professor of Corporate governance, University of Pisa Msc in Strategy, Management and Control
2014/2017 Jean Monnet Professor of European Water Utility Management Jean Monnet Module, University of Pisa
In past years, Professor of Economia aziendale I, Corporate governance and Turnaround Strategies – University of Pisa