2006. Ph. D. in Geophysics, Institute of Earth Sciences, Department of Physics, University of Iceland
2002. Laurea degree (110/110 e lode) in Geological Sciences, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Pisa
2017-present. Associate Professor in Volcanology, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Pisa, Italy
2014-2017. Lecturer and ‘Rita Levi Montalcini’ Fellow, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Pisa, Italy
2013-2014. Lecturer in Earth Sciences, School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Plymouth University, UK
2008-2013. Post-doctoral Researcher, School of Earth and Environment, Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics, University of Leeds, UK
2006-2007. Post-doctoral Researcher (assistant-chercheur), Faculty of Sciences, Technology and Communications, University of Luxembourg
2002-2006. Ph.D student in Geophysics, Nordic Volcanological Center, Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
2003 Visiting Ph.D student at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Lyngby, Denmark
2001-2002. Visiting graduate student, Nordic Volcanological Institute, Reykjavik, Iceland
Funded research grants
- Local coordinator of PRIN project 2017P9AT72 by MIUR (total budget €652K)
- Principal-investigator of a 2-year grant by the University of Pisa PRA_2018_19 (€47.8K)
- Principal-investigator on a 3-year grant by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) to access data from the ALOS-2 satellite over Changbaishan volcano (China) at no cost (funding-in-kind)
- Co-investigator on a 3-year grant by the Italian Space Agency (ASI) to access data from the Cosmo-SkyMed satellite over the Pearl River Delta (China) at no cost (funding-in-kind)
- Co-investigator on an internal grant by the University of ‘La Sapienza’ Roma to study the Erta Ale ridge volcanoes in Ethiopia (€1.3K)
- ‘Rita Levi Montalcini’ individual fellowship for a 3-year grant by the Italian Ministry of University, Research and Education (MIUR) to conduct research on Ethiopian and Iceland volcanoes (€202K)
- Principal Investigator on a grant by the European Space Agency (ESA) to access data from the CosmoSkyMed satellite over Changbaishan volcano (China) at no cost (funding-in-kind)
- Co-investigator on a 3-year grant by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) to access data from the ALOS-2 satellite over Afar at no cost (funding-in-kind)
- Doctoral Student Scholarship for three years Ph. D studies in Iceland granted by The Icelandic Center for Research (RANNÍS)
Notable invited talks and seminars
2016. Invited seminar at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy.
2015. Invited Keynote speaker at the meeting Pianeta Dinamico (SIMP-AIV-SoGeI-SGI), Florence. Invited seminar at ISMAR-CNR and University of Bologna. Invited talk at the Workshop MemoVolc, INGV, Pisa.
2014. Invited seminar at IREA-CNR, Naples. Invited seminar at Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, China. Invited seminar at Department of Earth Sciences, University of Florence
2012. Invited speaker to the AGU fall meeting, session T41G
2011. Invited speaker at the EGU General Assembly, session GMPV10. Invited speaker at the Royal Society workshop on Magma Migration, Storage and Eruption at Divergent Plate Boundaries in Iceland and Afar, Kavli Royal Society International Centre, UK
2010. Invited speaker at the Summer School on Magmatic Plumbing Systems and Intrusions, Iceland. Invited seminar at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), NASA, Pasadena, USA. Invited seminar at California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, USA. Invited talk at Lancaster Environment Centre, University of Lancaster, UK. Invited seminar at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP), France
2009. Invited speaker at the EGU General Assembly, session GMPV3. Invited speaker at the meeting Frontiers of Science in Beijing, China, organized by the Royal Society, UK
Reviewer and editorial activity
- Associate Guest Editor for the special issue Anatomy of rifting: Tectonics and Magmatism in Continental Rifts, Oceanic Spreading Centers, and Transforms in Geosphere (Geological Society of America).
- Reviewer for the funding agencies: Agence Nationale de la Recherce (ANR, France) and The Icelandic Centre for Research (RANNIS, Iceland).
- Reviewer for the journals: Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, Gcubed and Tectonics (AGU). GEOLOGY and Geosphere (Geological Society of America). Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Earth Science Review, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Journal of African Earth Sciences, Marine and Petroleum Geology, and Geomorphology (Elsevier). Geophysical Journal International (Oxford Academic). Remote Sensing (MDPI), IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing ,eEarth (EGU), and Frontiers in Earth Science