Grants, Honors and Formalized Collaboration
1994 Grants by CNR for the partecipation to the “XVth Congress of The International Primatological Society”.
2000 Grant for Young researchers, Dipartimento Etologia, Ecologia ed Evoluzione, University of Pisa.
2004 Invited for a Simposium at the XVIIIth Congress of the International Primatological Society; “Managing conflict: Evidence from wild and captive primates.”
2006-2008 Grant by University of Pisa, Giardino Zoologico Città di Pistoia, Parco Zoo di Falconara e Parco Zoo Punta Verde for the research projects S.M.E.L.L. (Scent Marking Ethology in Lemur Language) & L.E.A.V.E.S. (Lemur Ethology Applied to Viability and Ex Situ).
2009-2011 Grant by University of Pisa, Giardino Zoologico Città di Pistoia, Parco Zoo di Falconara e Parco Zoo Punta Verde for the research projects S.M.E.L.L. (Scent Marking Ethology in Lemur Language) & L.E.A.V.E.S. (Lemur Ethology Applied to Viability and Ex Situ).
2009 International Conference “The Primate Mind. Built to connect with other minds” (Erice, 4-7 June 2009). Best oral presentation entitled: “Females do it better. Yawning contagion and sociality in Theropithecus gelada”
2012 International Conference “The Evolution of Morality: The Biology and Philosophy of Human Conscience” (Erice, 17-22 June 2012). Best oral presentation entitled: “The caring ape. Spontaneous consolation in bonobos follows the human empathic gradient”
2017 The Frank A. Beach Comparative Psychology Award for the best paper published in Journal of Comparative Psychology (https://www.apadivisions.org/division-6/awards/beach?tab=3).
Cordoni, G., Nicotra, V. & Palagi, E. (2016). Unveiling the “secret” of play in dogs (Canis lupus familiaris): Asymmetry and signals. Journal of Comparative Psychology, 130(3), 278-287.
2017 – Research collaboration with the Computer Science Department (University of Pisa) in the project “Computational models for the study of population dynamics”.
since 2017 – Research collaboration with the Unidad de Etología y Bienestar Animal-Facultad de Veterinaria – Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera
Co-organization and participation to international working groups
2018 – 2nd KLI Focus Group “Understanding the Mechanisms and Evolution of Play” Konrad Lorenz Institute (KLI) for Evolution and Cognition Research (Klosterneuburg, AUSTRIA, 1-14 Luglio, 2018) – https://www.kli.ac.at/en/events/event_calendar/view/458)
2017 – Working group “Comparative Affective Science’ (Lorentz Center, Leiden University, the Netherlands).
2016 – Working group Psychonomic Leading Edge Workshop “The Evolutionary and Psychological Significance of Play” (June 12nd-14th, 2016, Brookfield Zoo, Chicago). http://www.psychonomic.org/2016-leading-edge-workshop
2013 – Working Group “Obstacles and Catalysts of Peaceful Behavior’ (Lorentz Center, Leiden University, the Netherlands)
2011-2013 – CoPI together with Burghardt G.M., Mengel M., & Pellis S. M. Working Group: Play as a window into cognitive evolution and the rules of sociality. (National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis, University of Tennessee, TN, USA).
2009-2017 External expert at the UNIT OF COGNITIVE PRIMATOLOGY AND PRIMATE CENTRE ISTC, CNR, VIA ALDROVANDI 16 B, I-00197 ROMA
2009-2010 – Scientific collaboration for the European Research Project (7° Programma Quadro) “IM-Clever” (Integrated Project) to explore the Biological Models of Cognition in Human and non-human primates (Unit Of Cognitive Primatology And Primate Centre, ISTC, CNR, Rome)
Methods in the study of animal behaviour
Social behaviour and cognition in mammals
Editor for the following scientific journals
Editor and advisory board member – Primates (Springer) (since 2010)
Associate editor – Behaviour (Brill) (since 2012)
Editor and Board member – Plos ONE (since 2011)
Editor and Advisory Board member – Atti della Societa Toscana di Scienze Naturali, Serie B. (since 2013)
- Developmental Psychobiology
- Current Anthropology
- American Journal Of Primatology
- International Journal Of Primatology
- Ethology, Ecology And Evolution
- Folia Primatologica
- Social Neuroscience
- Journal Of Comparative Psychology
- Leakey Foundation
- Journal Of Chemical Ecology
- Animal Behaviour
- Mammalian Biology
- Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology
- PLoS ONE
- Journal Of Ethology
- Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences, USA
- Proceedings Of The Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
- American Journal Of Physical Anthropology
- Austrian Science Foundation
- Biology Letters
- Journal Of Peace, Gender And Development Studies
- African Zoology
- Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group)
- The American Naturalist
- Current Biology
- Scandinavian Journal Of Psychology
- Integrative Zoology
- Neuroscience And Biobeahavioral Reviews
- Aggressive Behavior
- Learning And Behavior
- Personality And Social Psychology Bulletin
- Human Nature
- Cognition and Emotion
- Journal of Experimental Psychology: General
- NSERC Discovery Grants (Government of Canada)
Congress, national and international symposium organization
- XIV Congresso Nazionale di Primatologia (API) (Calci, 9-11 Ottobre, 2000).
- XXth Congress of the International Primatological Society (Torino, 22-28 Agosto 2004). Main organizer of the symposium: Managing conflict – Evidence from wild and captive primates – Elisabetta Palagi & Nicola Koyama.
- XVIII Congresso Nazionale di Primatologia (API) (Calci, PI, 16-18 Maggio 2007). Main organizer: Elisabetta Palagi.
- Fission-fusion dynamics, reciprocity, and biological markets. An INCORE Discussion meeting. (Calci, 14-16 Maggio 2009). Main organizers: Filippo Aureli & Elisabetta Palagi.
- Ricerca Scientifica in Museo: una giornata per discutere, capire, comunicare (Calci, 13 Maggio 2011). Main organizers: Elisabetta Palagi & Marco Zuffi.
- II Congresso “Ricerca Scientifica in Museo: Quale la realtà toscana?” (Calci, 25-26 Maggio 2012). Main organizers: Walter Landini & Elisabetta Palagi.
- VI European Federation of Primatology (Rome, 25-28 August 2015). Main Organizer of the Symposium: Emotions – Zanna Clay, Elisa Demuru, Elisabetta Palagi
- XXVII Congresso della Società Italiana di Etologia (Calci, 18-21 June 2016). Organizer: Elisabetta Palagi
- “No animal is an island: Understanding emotional connection at the basis of social life” at the 14th International Equitation Science Conference (Rome, 21-24 September, 2018)
- “Animal Emotions” at the Workshop “Comparative Affective Science’ organized by Lorentz Center of Leiden University (Leiden, the Netherlands, July 24-28, 2017).
- “From Me to you: Emotional Contagion in Primates and Other Social Animals” at VI Iberian Primatological Conference (University of Burgos, Burgos, Spain, October 4-7, 2017).
- “Animal Games” at PhD Days “When the brain plays the game” (Aix & Marseille Université, Marseille, France, December 7-8, 2017).
- “Playful modality and communication: an overview in adult primates” Psychonomic Leading Edge Workshop on “The Evolutionary and Psychological Significance of Play” (June 12nd-14th, 2016, Brookfield Zoo, Chicago).
- “The strategic functions of play: modality and communication” – Darwin Day Celebrations – University of Alabama Birmingham (USA) (February, 12th 2016).
- “Emotional Contagion in Social Animals” at EthoS – Ethologie animale et humaine, Université de Rennes 1 (France) (Paimpont, December 13rd, 2016).
- “Emotional Contagion in Primates and Other Social Animals” at the Workshop “Animal and human emotions” (Ettore Majorana Foundation, Erice, 17-22 May, 2016).
- “When play is a strategy game: an overview in adult primates” at 6th European Federation of Primatology (Rome, 25-28 August 2015).
- “Natural conflict resolution: Retrospect and prospect” at the Workshop “Obstacles and Catalysts of Peaceful Behavior’ organized by Lorentz Center of Leiden University (Leiden, the Netherlands, March 18-22, 2013)
- “The caring ape: evidence for empathy in bonobos” (5th EFP, Antwerp Belgium 10th–13th September 2013)
- “Play fair, game over: play and its rules” Workshop “Le scienze della norma” (Cagliari 23-24 maggio 2013).
- “Play and its signals: tactics and functions in adult bonobos” (Lab of Comparative Ethology, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, 5 Maggio 2008).