Address: Dipartimento di Economia e Management, Università di Pisa, v. Ridolfi 10, 56124 Pisa, ITALY
SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE
He is associate Professor of economics at the Department of Economics and Management of the University of Pisa. He served as a director and/or vice director of the degrees in Regional and Environmental Economics (B.A), Peace Studies (B.A), Regional sustainable development and management (M.Sc.). He is member of IRTA-Leonardo research institute since its foundation, REMARC , CISP and CIRESS.
His research is mainly centered on the relationship between (un)economic growth, environmental degradation and human well-being, from an ecological economics perspective.
He is an editor of Ecological Economics , and board member of the European Society for Ecological Economics. He served as a member of the IPBES (Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services) contributing, as a leading author, to the Unit Regional Assessment for Europe and Central Asia. Expert for the European commission on the project H2020 Social Multi-Criteria Evaluation for ex-ante Impact Assessment (2019-21).
In June 2022, he acted as the chair of the LOC of the international conference XIV biennal meeting of the Society for Ecological Economics, https://esee2022pisa.ec.unipi.it/ in which more that 500 delegates participated
Current and past positions
Since 01.11.2006 Associate Professor of Economics in the Department of Economics at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Pisa (Italy)
1999-2006 Lecturer in Economics (University of Pisa)
1997/98 Post-doctorate fellowship, Dept. of Economics, University of Ancona
1996/97 Research assistant in the field of applied environmental economics, supervisor Prof. A.G. Calafati, Dept. of Economics, University of Ancona (Italy)
1995/96 University of Warwick, visiting fellow (Scholarship of the University of Pisa for research abroad)
1993-94 M.Sc. in Economics, University of Warwick (UK)
1992-1995 University of Ancona, Ph.D. in Economics
Dissertation on “Social interdependencies and Economic Theory: conformism and the case of voluntary contribution”. Supervisor: prof. Giorgio Rodano.
1991 – 1992 Military duty as an officer in the Italian Navy.
1985-1990 University of Pisa, ITALY, first degree in Economics,
(also fellow of the Scuola Superiore di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento S.Anna, PISA)
Final Dissertation: “The French Approach to the microfoundation of Macroeconomics. The model by Malinvaud.”, supervisor Prof. Carlo Casarosa. Final marks 110/110 cum laude,
His research is mainly centered on the relationship between economic growth and human well-being, within an ecological economics perspective. Recent research covers
- pro-sociality and pro-environmental behaviour
- the composite sustainability indicators debate,
- the Environmental Kuznets Curve for Energy, CO2, Materials, and Cancer,
- the sustainability of economic growth,
- the work and ideas of K.W. Kapp.
He has also written on the economic consequences of endogenous preferences (conformism), on social norms, on behaviour and rationality, on local development.
Member of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), he participated as a lead authors to the Unit of Regional Assessment for Europe and Central Asia.
From 19/12/2019 to 31/10/2021 I acted as an expert for the European Commission in the project H2020 Social Multi-Criteria Evaluation for ex-ante Impact Assessment.
He participated, since their establishment, of the Centro Interdisciplinare in Scienze per la Pace dell’Università di Pisa and of the Istituto di Ricerca sul Territorio e l’ambiente “Leonardo”, particpating in the Scientific Commitee of the latter. Also, he is member of the scientific commitee of the editorial series Intorno all’Agorà (ETS-PISA) and member of the Centro Interdipartimentale di Ricerca sull’Energia per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile (Ciress) dell’Università di Pisa.
He supervised some PhD students of the Pisa PhD Economia Politica, among which David Burgalassi (Spatial Structure and Economic Development) and Marco Orsini (Trade and EKC)
- Autens (Autarchia Energetica Sostenibile) 2020-22 – PRA Università di Pisa
- Ecoesione (https://ecoesione.ec.unipi.it/) funded by Italian ministry for Ecological transition
- Locomotion H2020 (https://www.locomotion-h2020.eu/) “Low-carbon society:
an enhanced modelling tool for the transition to sustainability”
He participated, also as the coordinator, to research groups on the local sustainable development in Tuscany. He participated to research funded by the Italian Ministry of the University (PRIN Research Programmes of National Interest) (1999-2000, 2000-02, 2003-04, 2006-08, 2009-10).
He acts as a reviewer for several journals in environmental/ecological economics and participates to examinations board for final exams of PhD Programmes.
He teaches Economics, Environmental and Ecological Economics, Sustainable Development at the University of Pisa. He also teaches in the PhD in Sustainable Development and Climate change – IUSS at the University of Pavia, in the master MAPROSS at University of L’Acquila and in the master SSCC at the University of Pisa.
He won a competitive grant within the special educational projects of the UNIPI with the “Mytimecare App” project, 2021 (https://www.unipi.it/index.php/docenti2/item/20329-economia-e-management)
Main Institutional Duties
2007-2011: Director of the B.A. degree in Regional and Environmental Economics (Economia del Territorio e dell’Ambiente) and M.Phil. degree in Regional sustainable development (Sviluppo e Gestione sostenibile del Territorio).
2011-12: Vicedirector of the B.A. in Peace Studies (Universiy of Pisa)
2023, Farley, J., Luzzati, T., In memoriam: Herman Daly (1938-2022). Ecological Economics, 107688
2022, Luzzati, T., Distefano, T., Ialenti, S., Andreoni V., 2022. The circular economy and longer product lifetime: framing the effects on working time and waste. Journal of Cleaner Production, 380, 134836.
2022, Luzzati, T., Tucci, I., & Guarnieri, P., 2022. Information overload and environmental degradation: learning from HA Simon and W. Wenders. Ecological Economics, 202, 107593.
2018 Luzzati, T., Orsini, M. and Gucciardi, G., 2018. A multiscale reassessment of the Environmental Kuznets Curve for energy and CO2 emissions. Energy policy, 122, pp.612-621.
2018 Luzzati, T., Parenti, A. and Rughi, T., 2018. Economic Growth and Cancer Incidence. Ecological Economics, 146, pp.381-396.
2015 Luzzati, T. and Gucciardi, G., A non-simplistic approach to composite indicators and rankings: an illustration by comparing the sustainability of the EU Countries. Ecological economics, 113, pp.25-38.
2015 Burgalassi, D. and Luzzati, T., 2015. Urban spatial structure and environmental emissions: A survey of the literature and some empirical evidence for Italian NUTS 3 regions. Cities,49, pp.134-148.
2014, Luzzati, T., Cheli, B. and Arcuri, S., 2014. Measuring the sustainability performances of the Italian regions. Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
2012, Farrell K.N.,van den Hove S., Luzzati T., “What lies beyond reductionism? Taking stock of inter-disciplinary research on ecological economics”, in Farrell K.N.,van den Hove S., Luzzati T., (eds.) Beyond Reductionism: a passion for interdiciplinarity, Routledge (ISBN: 978-0-415-47014-8).
2011, Floridi M., Pagni S., Falorni S., Luzzati T., An exercise in composite indicators construction: Assessing the sustainability of Italian regions, Ecological Economics, 70 (8), 1440-1447, ISSN 0921-8009. link al testo
2010, Luzzati T., “Economic Development, Environment and Society: Rediscovering Karl William Kapp”, in J.R. McNeill, J. A. Pádua , and Rangarajan M. (eds), As if Nature existed: environmental history and ecological economics, Oxford University Press (pp. 248. ISBN: 9780198064480.)
2010, D’alessandro S., Luzzati T., Morroni M., “Energy transition towards economic and environmental sustainability: feasible paths and policy implications”, Journal of Cleaner Production (8), 532–539.
2009, Luzzati T., “Human needs, sustainable development, and public policy: learning from K.W. Kapp (1910–1976)”, in Salvadori N. and Opocher A. (eds.), Long-run Growth, Social Institutions and Living Standards, Edward Elgar, 306-322
2009, Luzzati T. Orsini M., “Natural Environment and Economic Growth: looking for the energy-EKC”. Energy 34, 291–300
2003, Luzzati T., “Growth theory and the environment: how to include matter without making it really matter”, in Salvadori N. (a cura di) Economic Growth: A ‘Classical’ Perspective, 332-344, E. Elgar
2001, Di Pascoli S., Femia A., Luzzati T. “Natural gas, cars and the environment. A (relatively)’clean’ and cheap fuel looking for users”Ecological Economics, 38 (2), 179-189.
2000, Luzzati, T., “On the vacuity of the notion of efficiency in Economics”, Indian Journal of Applied Economics, Special Issue on Micro-Macro in Honour of Prof. Samuelson, 8 (2), 143-159, June
1999, Luzzati T., “Economic Theory and Conformism”, in Gallegati M. and Kirman A. (eds), Beyond the Representative Agent, Edward Elgar, 113-142
1999, Luzzati T. “A piece of evidence regarding the full rationality of economic agents”, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 155 (3), 567-572, September
See all publications at https://people.unipi.it/tommaso_luzzati/ricerca/pubblicazioni/
He regularly participates to conferences and gives invited speaches also to the general public.
Here is a list of some of the academic conferences he attended and presented his research
– Ecological economics and development, II International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, University of Geneva, Switzerland, 4-7 March 1998.
– Transitions Towards a Sustainable Europe: Ecology – Economy – Policy, III International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, University of Vienna, 3-6 May 2000.
– Exploring Supplies, Constraints and Strategies, 3rd Biennial International Workshop “Advances in Energy Studies”, Portovenere (SP), Italy, 23-27 May 2000.
– Frontiers I: Fundamental Issues of Ecological Economics, University of Cambridge, UK, 4-7 July 2001.
– Old and New Growth Theory: An Assessment, Pisa (Italy), 05-07 October 2001.
– 13th Annual EAEPE Conference 2001, Siena, Italy, 8-11 November 2001.
– Environment and Development, 7th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics, University of Sousse, Tunisia, 06-09 March 2002.
– European Applications in Ecological Economics, Frontiers II, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain 12 –15 February 2003.
– Science and Governance – The Ecological Economics Perspective, 6th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, ESEE 2005, New University of Lisbon (Portugal), 14-17 June 2005.
– Perspectives on Energy Future, 5th Biennial International Workshop Advances in Energy Studies, Porto Venere (SP), Italy, 12-16 September 2006.
– Ecological Sustainability and Human Well-Being, 9th Biennial Conference of International Society for Ecological Economics, New Delhi (India), 15-18 December 2006.
– Integrating Natural and Social Sciences for Sustainability, 7th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, ESEE 2007, UFZ – Centre for Environmental Research in Leipzig, Germany, 5-8 June 2007.
– Economic Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability and Social Equity, I International Conference, Paris, 18-19 April 2008.
– Transformation, innovation and adaptation for sustainability, 8th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, ESEE 2009, Ljubljana, Slovenia – 29 June – July 2009.
– From GDP to Well-Being: Economics on the Road to Sustainability, International conference, Università Politecnica delle Marche, 3-5 December 2009.
– Economic Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability and Social Equity, II International Conference, Barcelona, 27-30 April 2010.
– Advancing sustainability in a time of crisis, 11th Biannual conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics , Oldenburg and Bremen, Germany, 22 – 25 August 2010
– Advancing Ecological Economics: Theory and Practice, 9th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economic, ESEE 2011, Bogazici University, Instanbul, Turkey, 14-17 June, 2011.
– Ecological Economics and Institutional Dynamics, 10th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economic, ESEE 2013, Université Lille1, France, 18-21 June 2013.
– Well-being and Equity within Planetary Boundaries, 13th Biannual conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland, 13-15 August 2014.
– Transformations, 11th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economic, ESEE 2015, University of Leeds, UK, 30 June – 3 July 2015.
– Dealing with complexity in society: from plurality of data to synthetic indicators, University of Padua, Italy, 17-18 September 2015.
– Transforming the Economy: Sustaining Food, Water, Energy and Justice, 14th Biennual conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics, University of the District of Columbia, Washington USA, 26-29 June 2016.
– Ecological Economics in action: building a reflective and inclusive community, 12th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics 20-23 June 2017, Corvinus University of Budapest, Hungary
– Energy futures, environment and well-being, BIWAES 2017: Biennial International Workshop Advances in Energy Studies, Naples (Italy), 25-28 September 2017
– Co-creation. making Ecological Economics matter, 13th International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics, 18-21 June 2019, Turku University, Finland
– Invitato come keynote speaker al convegno “Ecological Economics and Ecological Civilization International Forum”, School of Economics of Peking University, Beijing, 15-16 November, 2019.
– “Will Achilles catch up with the tortoise? It’s high time for transformative action on sustainability”, XIV International Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics (ESEE 2022), Pisa 14-17 June
– 63rd Annual Conference – Italian Economic Association, Torino, October 21/2022
– Guest speaker al Workshop “Ecological & environmental economics”, Dept. of Economics, Law & Society, 16/01/2023, ESSCA Paris campus
– Workshop on Behavioural Ecological Economics, Florence on July 10, 2023
– Keynote speaker at VI Congreso Regional de Administración, Contabilidad y Economía, Encarnación Paraguay, August 25, 2023
– 9th International Degrowth Conference, Zagreb, August 28 – September 2, 2023
– MdM keynote Speaker series 2023, UAB – Barcelona Semptember 18, 2023
– 17th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics, Economies for life: Alliances for practicing ecological economics in a world in transition, Santa Marta and Bogotà, Colombia 23-28 November 2023
– Invited Seminar for the US Society for Ecological Economics, November 10, 2023